WE WANT YOU!
Are you a passionate entrepreneur who wants to pass on your knowledge to the next generation of business founders? Love helping new businesses succeed and develop? Got a background in business development in the start-up sector? Then we want you!
Virgin StartUp has helped hundreds of business to start and thrive across the Midlands with loans of between £500 and £25,000. You can learn more about the business it has helped and more about the loans here.
The ideal candidate would have practical experience of starting a business, understand how to create a top notch business plan and be able to help people both start and expand their business ideas. This is achieved through the development of a business plan, including a financial forecast – which the advisor would help applicants complete.
Business Enterprise Support – or BES – is a not-for-profit social enterprise primarily dedicated to helping people to start and successfully run their own businesses or social enterprises.
BES is the delivery partner for Virgin Start-up across the Midlands and has helped thousands of people from all different backgrounds prepare, fund and successfully launch businesses of their own across the Midlands.
The successful applicant would be working for BES as a freelance business advisor – meaning you set your own hours and be paid based on the results you achieve.
Key elements to the role:
- Conduct initial personal assessment and viability of the business idea, determine what support is needed, agree action plans and provide feedback;
- Review clients’ business plan and assist them to further develop and improve their business plans and cash flow forecasts until they are “loan ready”;
- Produce detailed loan application appraisal before submitting the application to the loan panel for funding decisions;
- Maintain all quality procedures relating to client files and records in line VSU requirements.
- Ensure work, at all times, conforms to the procedures and standards set out in in VSU’s operations manual;
- Motivate clients and manage caseload effectively to ensure clients are processed within a treasonable timescale (typically between 4-8 weeks).
Knowledge and experience
- Direct experience in assessing business plans and start-up financials;
- Proven understanding of commercial business gained through either SME management or experience of running own business;
- Extensive knowledge of key business aspects that affect the success of start-ups;
- Well-developed analytical skills including the ability to assimilate complex information, identify and prioritise key issues and assist the client to identify practical solutions;
- Sound understanding of management accounts and their impact on business;
- Well-developed coaching, mentoring and motivational skills;
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Strong project management and client portfolio management skills;
- Strong IT skills, proficient in Microsoft Office especially in Excel.
Competencies and behaviours
- Excellent planning, organisational and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to operate in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines;
- Accustomed to delivering excellent results against targets and meeting deadlines;
- Self-motivated and strong team player;
- Ability to prioritise and manage a high caseload or work;
- Flexible, adaptable, resourceful and resilient.
How to apply: Email a full CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Freelance Business Advisor
Reporting to: Gemma Bee – Operations and Finance Director