The Building Better Opportunities programme, which is funded by the Big Lottery Fund and European Social Fund, has awarded £2.3m to Business Enterprise Support (BES), who will work with partners across the south of the county.
The three-year project aims to help those who experience multiple barriers to work on finding a job or on being better placed to look for work.
The three year project will focus on key groups who typically find they have multiple problems to overcome in finding suitable employment
- People aged over 50
- Lone parents
- Those with low skills or qualifications
- People with long-term health condition or disability
- Those from an ethnic minority group
- Those living in ‘low employment demand’ areas
- Those who experience more than one of the following; homelessness, substance misuse, history of offending and mental ill-health.
The project will tackle the barriers that prevent these groups of people from accessing support with more opportunities for education and training, improved health and wellbeing services, better financial help and new programmes to build people’s confidence.
Support will be provided to help people build self-confidence and develop or acquire new skills in key areas where they might be experiencing difficulties.
- Work skills – gaining of key skills e.g. team working, problem solving, numeracy, IT and communication skills.
- Attitudinal skills – increased levels of motivation, confidence, feelings of responsibility, levels of self-esteem and higher personal and career aspirations.
- Personal skills – improved timekeeping, personal hygiene, greater levels of self-awareness, better health and fitness, greater levels of concentration and engagement.
- Practical skills – ability to complete forms, ability to write a CV, improved ability to manage money and improved awareness of rights and responsibilities.
University Hospital North Midlands
Upper Moreton Rural Activities
South Staffordshire District Council
South Staffordshire and Stafford CABs
South Staffordshire Housing Association
South Staffordshire Work Clubs
Staffordshire Women’s Aid
Staffordshire Chambers of Commerce